Self Assessment for Self-Employed & Sole Traders

If your only income comes from freelancing or any other activities in the form of additional money to your main income from employment, you MUST pay Income Tax on these earnings to HMRC.

You should start with the registration process of becoming Self-Employed. This will generate your UTR number, your personal identifier used for reporting to HMRC form SA100 once a year.

From April 2023, all incorporated (self-employed) businesses and landlords with total business or property income above £10,000 must be signed up for software supporting MTD. It may be reasonable to start changing the old ways of submitting Income Tax declaration within the next year or two slowly.


Keeping a receipt
Filing it Accumulating receipts
Manually entering them or
Paying fees to an accountant who does it manually.

Photographing a receipt
Uploading it
Checking details & submitting


Taxpayers have until 31 Jan following the end of the tax year to file their return & pay any tax due. 2022/2023 will be the last non-MTD period for most, with a filing deadline of 31 January 2024.

Business income will be updated quarterly & finalised at the end of the tax year.